Contrary to popular belief, having beautiful hair does not require frequent trips to the salon or expensive hair care products. There is actually a lot you can do at home, for next to no money, to improve the appearance of your hair. Here are some simple home hair care techniques that you should be using if you want your hair to always look its best:
Massage Your Scalp Daily
Before you clean and brush your hair, do a quick scalp massage. This will get the blood flowing to your hair follicles, keeping them healthy and well-nourished. Gently slide your fingers through your hair and massage your scalp using small circular motions with your fingertips.
Brush Your Hair Slowly, Yet Thoroughly
Brushing your hair also stimulates blood flow to your scalp, in addition to removing dead skin cells before they can cause a skin infection. You should always use a brush with natural bristles or a brush specifically designed to be gentle to your hair. This will help keep your hair from breaking while you brush. Go slowly and carefully, and try to do a full 100 strokes.
Wash Your Hair the Right Way
Believe it or not, trying to keep your hair clean by washing it every day is a bad idea. Doing so strips the natural oils off your hair, and those oils are actually what keep it healthy, strong, and looking good. Wash your hair every other day instead, or even every third day, if you have dry, brittle hair.
- Wash your hair with warm, not hot, water. This will help keep the natural oils in.
- Set your shower head to gentle pressure, if it’s one of the adjustable types.
- Lather up the shampoo in your hand, not on your scalp.
- Work the shampoo into your hair by massaging your head gently with your fingertips.
- Move your fingers from place to place by lifting them, not dragging them through your hair.
- If you have oily hair, work the shampoo through your hair all the way to the ends. If you have dry hair, just wash your scalp. Let the shampoo wash away any dirt as it is rinsed out.
- Comb your wet hair instead of brushing it. Use a wide-toothed comb.
- Air dry your hair when you can. Towel dry gently if you need it to dry quickly. Never use a hairdryer if at all possible; it strips your hair of its natural oils and leads to breakage.
Remember, your hair is most vulnerable to breaking when it is wet, so you need to be very gentle with it.
Use Conditioner Whenever You Wash Your Hair
Apply a conditioner to your hair, all the way to the ends, every time you wash your hair. Doing so will reduce split ends. It will also reduce the chance of discoloration when coloring your hair.
Apply a Deep Conditioning Treatment Once a Week
Your hair needs a deep conditioning treatment once a week unless you have oily, limp, or very fine hair. A deep conditioning treatment does more than using a conditioner when you wash. Just follow these instructions:
- Brush your hair.
- Wash it.
- Towel it dry.
- Heat up a towel in the dryer.
- Massage some coconut oil into your hair.
- Wrap your hair with the heated towel to get the conditioner to really soak in.
- After 15-20 minutes, rinse out the coconut oil with warm water.
- Do a second quick rinse with cool water to keep it strong and improve its shine.
Get Regular Haircuts
Visit our Malibu hair salon for a regular haircut to reduce split ends and breakage. If your hair is shoulder length or longer, cut it about once every 2 months. Cut it once every 6 weeks or so for shorter hairstyles.
Wear Your Hair Up in Loose Styles
If you have long hair, wear your hair up when you can. When your hair is very long it can get too heavy, causing it to stop growing, break, or even fall out. Wearing your hair up takes some of that weight off your hair’s roots for a while, letting them rest and heal. It also prevents hair catching and pulling on clothing, bag straps, and so on.
Beauty Wellness in Malibu
Treat your hair well and it will reward you with the healthy, beautiful hair you deserve. It doesn’t require any expensive hair care products, just a little maintenance and some gentle treatment.
In need of some professional help and near the Malibu area? Our network of professionals at our Malibu beauty salon delivers high-quality, exquisitely artistic looks. Our talent customizes and curates your style so that it is unique and distinct for you. Call: 310.456.8459 or Text: 310.283.2296 to learn more about our beauty concierge services in Malibu.